Showing 1 of 40 conversations about:
View Full Discussion
Great feel, incredible sound even before full break in. Very nice sound stage with clean separation of vocals and instruments
Note after 2 days of break in. dialing in filters ( none ) and the CEntrance DACport HD, ( High Gain) and figuring out what level volume need to get headphone to open up. Note I found many amp would just plateau. Now DACport HD is not perfect some EDM ( Moby, etc ) song will clip on DAC/AMP at volume.
I wondered into an old album from the Squirrel Nut Zippers, "Hot". ( 1996). The third song "Memphis Exorcism" with beautiful Trumpet solos, kick and snare holding time with a upright bass thumping away, then guitar sliding in, AEON has sold solid separation with engaging detail and staging. Then the 7th song "Hell" rolls in with another the trumpet solo just draw you in, with Vocal and background singers make you feel like you down at Elephant room in Austin.
Next big surprise was Taj Mahal's "Dust My Broom". the Harmonica feels like you blowing it , drums are holding time to the left and guitar is next to you.
Walter "Wolfman" Washington "Save Your Love for Me" his deep vocal just layer forward over brooding jazz cords
Tom Petty "Free Fallen". wow another great song on the Aeon. Love vocal, guitar, drums and separation, as back ground vocal slip in.
This one staying in the collection, but I would recommend good DAC and higher power Headphone Amplifier. Example where you could use little more juice, U2's "Cedars of Lebanon" opening organ clips the CEntrance DACportHD.
Update it works fantastic with the Xduoo XD05 Plus DAC/AMP, it really opens up the headset.
Any other headphones you own for reference?
- Audio Technica ATH-50, ATH-50x ( used in Video production in field )
- AGK K712 ( early headphone for gaming ) ( Sold on Reverb)
- Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium Limited-Edition Black ( used in Video post production )
- Hifiman HE-560. ( Selling on Reverb)
- Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones
- Noble X IEM
- WHIZZER A-HE03 IEM
- Hifiman Ananda ( New)
- Focal Elex ( New )
I would say the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium is currently is it, just a pain to drive. Hifiman HE-560 ( this was one of originals from few years back) is not slouch either in past it was up against the LCD-2. I tried higher dollar headset but they have there quirks as well.
I spent more time yesterday with Dan Clark headphone it has personality is best way to describe it. There are time it just off in how it does staging.
I am still like you on search for great headphone. I am starting at the $700 and bellow, you can alway spend more.
I mostly listen to Blues, Rock and Alternative, but have much broader music tastes as well.
To start the journey down the rabbit hole, I decide to start with two Classics and one relative new comer: Hifiman HE-4xx, Sennheiser HD-6xx and the Dan Clark Aeon X.
Spent a day listing to a few song to see how their sound signature affected the music and what to me sound best on which headset.
Sounds good on both HE-4XX and Dan Clark AEON's
Sounds good on HE-4XX, HD 6xx and Dan Clark AEON's
- BB King " Thrill is Gone ( Aeon has the edge)
- BB King & Eric Clapton "Ridding with the King" ( Aeon has the edge)
- Grateful Dead "The Friend of the Devil" ( Aeon has the edge)
- Van Halen " Running with the Devil"
- The Cure "Kiss Me Kiss Me"
- Devo "Whip It"
- Led Zeppelin "Communication Breakdown" ( AEON )
- The Who " Baba O Riley" ( HE-4XX)
- Bob Schneider "Metal and Steel" ( AEON)
- Buddy Guy "A Few Good Years"
- Buddy Guy "Cognac ( feat Jeff Beck & Keith Richards) ( HE-4XX)
- Buffalo Springfield "For What It's Worth" ( HE-4XX)
- Cat Stevens " Father and Son" (AEON)
Songs that separate the HE-4XX from Dan Clark AEON'
- Gary Clark Jr "The Bright Lights"
- Buddy Guy " Thank Me Someday"
- Black Pistol Fire "Suffocation Blues"
- Black Pistol Fire " Bad Blood"
- Black Keys " Busted"
- The Avener & John Lee Hooker " It Serves You Right to Suffer" ( HE-4XX takes the edge tonally)
- AC/DC "For Those About to Rock We Salute You" ( HE-4XX )
- AC/DC "Back in Black" (HD 6xx, stronger Mids pick up the guitars best)
- Bruce Springsteen "The River" ( AEON)
- John Lennon "(Just Like) Starting Over" ( AEON )
- Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven" ( HE-4XX is good and AEON bring more operation of the Acoustic Guitar ( some part feel like it in a small stage) )
- Led Zeppelin "Whole Lot of Love" ( HE-4XX and HD 6xx )
- Led Zeppelin "Communication Breakdown" ( AEON and HD 6XX )
- The Who "Magic Bus" Stereo ( HE-4XX and HD 6XX )
- The Who "Behind Blue Eyes" ( AEON )
- Art of Noise "Moments in Love"
- The Beatles " Day Tripper" ( HE-4XX and HD 6xx )
- Beth Hart "Tell Her You Belong To Me" ( AEON)
- Biffy Clyro " Many Horror" ( HE-4XX )
- Big Head Todd & Monsters + John Lee Hooker "Boom Boom Boom"
- Brother Bird "Leave it alone"
- Brother Bird "Before Dark" the piano sound better on HE-4XX. Piano is dark on AEON'S
Maybe its better to take a loan and buy some god tier just so i can delete all forums that i spam daily, it's getting stupid.
Funny, Personally I pour more money into my Guitar's, Guitar Amps and recording gear and studio monitors ...
What has been interesting to see is how much markup and how they get discounted on high-end headphones. Look at Hifiman Ananda It was $999 it now $699 on Amazon. I am sure we see the Hifiman Arya will come down in price as well now.
For me it interesting to hear the difference in them how they handle different music. I have to say none of them are perfect. I probably flip a few headphones like I did with guitars and amps until I find that one I just can not say no too.
End Game for some folks can be the Elex with the AAA 789 (and a clean DAC). I only mention this because I too have purchased a multitude of headphones in search of my daily driver to finally stop at the Elex (and it's currently only $100 more than the Aeon's). Good luck.
I had the Elex and paired them with the 789 and SDAC-B. Excellent sound but a bit heavy to wear for a long time. For that I ended up selling them. I'm now looking at either these Aeon X or the Ether CX. I currently have the HD6XX and 58X.
Thanks I was thinking about trying the Elex to complement the Aeon.
AEON X seam to come into its own when the music is forward and intimate it is amazing with good detail.
Or higher energy music
- The Lumineers Ophelia and In the Light
- Lana Del Rey "Born to Die"
- ADELE "Hello"
- Aerosmith "Come Together" and "Dream On"
- Diana Krall Quiet Nights
- Micheal Buble The Way You look Tonight & La vie en rose
- The Mavericks " Back in Your Arms Again"
For today listening I moved to my UA Arrow, using it headphone adaptor since this what I take on the road for limited recordings
One thing I found you have to play with filters for example
- M.I.A. "Paper Planes"
- Lana Del Rey & Cedric Gervias "Summertime Sadness"
- Bach "Season ( Spring ) 1 Allegro, Seasons (Autumn) I Allegro, II Adagio , & III Allegro 2" Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
- AEON you have to pull the felts to make it sound good, with the one notch filter in it sound like you have cotton in your ears aka muted.
- Yevette Young "Captain
- HD-6xx piano stand out and timbre was just being there with instrument. But it feels bit crowded. lot less volume need to get it to open up. 1/2 volume on the UA Arrow
- Aeon Piano is darker, but with good fidelity, you can hear separation of the Violin, it is not crowded. But it need lot more Volume to get close to opening up ( need to test this on more powerful amp. 8/9 of volume on the UA Arrow
One of the thing on the Aeon I need to retest with more powerful amplifier, it looks like it need a lot of power to really open up.
- Now a song that challenged all three headphones was Hans Zimmer "Time" which is bit dark, it opens with Piano and Violins.
- The piano comes in feeling dark and bit muted on AEON. It not muffled there is detail.
- The HE-4xx piano stand out little more, but it still dark, but less dark
- HD-6xx Piano is dark as well it also felt muted Piano
- Nobile X IEM, the piano was bright and forward, Violins had a lot of dynamics.
It better the more it breaks in, and more I get to understand how to use it properly,
I decided to try out the Hifiman Ananda since it had a price drop to A/B with AEON. Ananda is lot easier to drive, but so far but I need more listening time and break in-time.
There still is something special in the Aeon, but I went back to pure piano and classical for and A/B
Ananada is drier the Aeon, it get closer out of the box with the current amp to enjoyable piano, For these two pieces I give Ananda edge
- Try Jonna Goodle "Balkan Bach". and "Luges in C Minor, BWV 906"
- Alexandre Tharaud "Premier livre de pièces de clavecin: VI. L'Aimable". the Aeon was more inviting to listen too.
But I see another adventure coming where do I land on DAC/AMP to power all of this beyond what I have today.
- Berlin Philharmonic & Karl Böhm - Mozart "Serenade in D Major, K. 320 "Posthorn": II. Minuetto"
- AEON is bit warmer, good detail,
- Ananda is brighter, good detail
- A Little Opera - Wagner "Die Walkkure"
- AEON the instruments like Triangles are just more present
- Something More energetic Johann Strauss II Tritsch-Trasch Polka Op 214.
Did you mean to day Ananda has details in abundance? You mentioned comparing the too so I was wondering if it was a typo
I dropped that line now in text above. They both really have good detail, but I give Ananda has the edge at all volume of music. Aeon X is warmer, when you go back to the Ananada it can sound little drier.
Now both headphone even though they low Ohm, they really need better amp pull the detail out of them. I finally have amp with enough current (mA) to support Aeon X, note it lot hungrier for current then the Ananda. The Headphone which is more efficient than Ananda is Focal Elex, this another topic.
Sound stage is bigger on the Ananda and Elex, Perl Jam "Rival" proves this.
Right now I say the Mid-fi Headphone space is pretty special, At the top Focal Elex/Elear and Hifiman Ananda are working to take top crown, each are fantastic on there own right. Then there is specialist Aeon X if you want something more intimate for vocals with solid detail and instrument separation.
One update I have the XDO5 Plus amp and DAC with AK4493, I will soon have a TCA HPA-1 amp https://www.tomchr.com which I am really looking forward too to open up headphones more, leave them bare as they say...