Showing 1 of 1303 conversations about:
View Full Discussion Just received hot from the oven :). Connected with Topping D50. This is replacing my tube amp DarkVoice 336SE.
I then connected Hifiman HE560 with balanced cable. Here are initial impressions:
Overall, I am quite pleased. Will add more details as I test with more headphones and songs. 5 stars all the way!!
- Powerwise, I am using highest gain (level 3) and volumn knob is around 1. The headphones are plenty loud.
- No hint of noise anywhere from low end to high treble and no sibilance whatsoever. High frequencies are definitely more apparent compared to tube amp.
- I am hearing more strong sub-base compared to DarkVoice, specificaly with Angel from Massive Attack.
- Overall extremely smooth sounding but extremely detailed.
- Bubbles from YosiHorikawa: wow!! immense sound stage. Definite improvement in detail retrieval. I am hearing lot of new things.
Did you listen through the XLR 4 connection? I was wondering how it compared the standard TRS plug.
Just noticed that you used a Hifiman Balanced cable. Did you compare with TRS? I'm expecting a balanced cable tomorrow and I'm anxious to compare. I have the headphones HE400S
I did not compare balanced to single ended for same headphone, but apart from some power gains I don't think there is much difference.
I did not compare 1:1 on balanced v/s XLR, but from other headphones I used (HD6XX, Audeze EL8 closed Monoprice m1060), the only difference I could perceive was in power. Nothing else.