Showing 1 of 7694 conversations about:
View Full Discussion
It is not selling out because of 5 reasons:
1) A $50 price increase (which is perfectly reasonable for a price increase, the old price was too low and they lost money)
2) 6 months shipping time (some people can't wait that long)
3) Only 1 headphone per person (it is a stupid limit)
4) They increased the drop number from 5000 to 7500. (For marketing purposes they should have added 5000 headphones this time, not 7500. Not to mention 5000 would have been a much easier goal to reach, for both buyers on massdrop and sennheiser reducing the shipping time by a month or 2)
5) Asian countries are excluded from this drop (You can't make a sale if you discriminate potential customers)
So far we are at 4,200 purchased.
I wonder if these will become like the Fostex ones and just be part of the site for a long time. Maybe there will be a spring cleaning sale next year with these on a discount?
I couldn't disagree more on #3. If you know someone who also wants it, they can make their own account and buy it themselves. And if you wanted a second one so badly, you could probably make a second account and maybe get another(unless they block you based on credit card info or something). I'm sure the reason they did that is so more people had a chance, and others weren't hogging them and possibly just doing so to resell them at a higher price. Sure the last drop had fewer, and a decent price difference, but it also sold out insanely fast, and surely(most of) those 5k owners don't feel a need to buy another pair so there's another reason it's selling slower.
They did not lose money. These things cost like $30 a pair at most to make. It's 20 years old, all the R&D and production costs have long since been recouped.