Showing 1 of 1082 conversations about:
Rochambeaux
344
Mar 16, 2017
bookmark_border
Last year I ordered (and returned) over 12 of the "top" gaming headsets. All of them sound like garbage compared to traditional headphones priced much lower.
Do yourself a favor. But a pair of good $100 real headphones and slap on an Antlion removable mic.
The sound quality is eons better. "Gaming headsets" are about the convenience of wireless - and you are paying a steep price for it.
Mar 16, 2017
DrummerXeph
9
Mar 16, 2017
bookmark_border
These are the HD598 headphones with a mic attached and cheaper. I got this pair on the previous drop and they are identical in quality and clarity to the HD598's. I guess you can say that Sennheiser made these "Gaming" by adding a mic to them and making them all black. FYI, I do own both of them, HD598 for work and PC37X for the home battle-station.
Mar 16, 2017
TRUSOLDiER
12
Mar 16, 2017
bookmark_border
You are absolutely correct. I use Beyerdynamic dt990 600ohms and the modmic 4 and paired it with Creative Sound Blaster ZxR since it is a 600ohms headset but any kind of sound card will make a decent headset sound that much better.
Mar 16, 2017
SkitTheCrit
92
Mar 16, 2017
bookmark_border
A. These are pretty high quality drivers, pretty close to the 598's, as Drummer said. B. The PC37X are not wireless, but it will have less wires than a modmic + headphone combo. C. By "Top" gaming headsets, I assume you mean most popular. The most popular gaming headseats are mostly under $100 and definitely not the greatest sounding. Also, I like having the ability to simply flip up the mic arm to mute it. Can't do that with an antlion mic. I own the Game Zero's from Sennheiser, and they are just as good as any other headphones that I have used.
Mar 16, 2017
Zatarot
103
Mar 16, 2017
bookmark_border
I agree when it concerns 90% of the gaming headsets out there but in this case, the other 10% you are wrong, dead wrong. Btw the HyperX Clouds are another pair that you'd wrong about to if you made the same suggestion.
Mar 16, 2017
Rochambeaux
344
Mar 16, 2017
bookmark_border
Here's a partial list of gaming headsets I actually tried: Some of these were far more expensive than my ultimate solution.
Logitech G430 Corsair Gaming VOID USB Turtle Beach - Ear Force Stealth 450 Turtle Beach - Ear Force Elite 800 SteelSeries Siberia 800 ASTRO Gaming A50 Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mad Catz TRITTON Katana Sennheiser GAME ZERO PC Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset Kingston HyperX Cloud II Beyerdynamic MMX300 PC Gaming Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Professional ASUS STRIX 7.1
I ended up using the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 32 OHM with an Antlion mic.
The DT 990's were far more comfortable than any of the gaming sets and sound quality was leagues above.
Mar 16, 2017
OleDaneBoy
77
Mar 17, 2017
bookmark_border
I really don't think these are the same as the HD598 headphones. The 598's have a much more open-ear design with the mesh hard plastic so you get a very natural sound. Also for slightly more you can get a pair of HD598 and a Antlion modmic and the microphone will be much higher quality than the one attached here.
Mar 17, 2017
lumbeeman
14
Mar 17, 2017
bookmark_border
I don't think they are either, as my HD 518' s sound way better than these. Don't get me wrong, they do sound good but I think they are very far off from 598's.
Mar 17, 2017
Zatarot
103
Mar 18, 2017
bookmark_border
Other than three: Sennheiser GAME ZERO PC, Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset, and Beyerdynamic MMX300 PC Gaming all the others were pretty much expected. Now wondering what you found wrong with them and what you settled with.
Mar 18, 2017
Rochambeaux
344
Mar 18, 2017
bookmark_border
I ended up using the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 32 OHM with an Antlion mic. The DT 990's were far more comfortable than any of the gaming sets and sound quality was leagues above.
Mar 18, 2017
Zatarot
103
Mar 18, 2017
bookmark_border
That I find especially odd since the MMX300 is just a closed version  of the DT990 with a mic, so you pretty much ended up with more or less the same thing, with the other two not far off since they are also just variants with a mic.
Mar 18, 2017
yslee
88
Mar 18, 2017
bookmark_border
MMX300 is really a DT770, I'm not sure if it's because it's closed, but the DT990s have a V-shape sound than the bass-heavy 770s, and the soundstage on the DT990s is incredible.
Mar 18, 2017
View Full Discussion