Finally got around to assembling my kit this weekend. Some notes if there's anyone left else who hasn't built their kit yet...
- The instructions say to wire up the buttons to ports that aren't there yet (K5, K6, etc.). If you just keep connecting them down the row, you'll be fine, as the software lets you remap the buttons to what you need. Same for up/down/left/right on the joystick.
- I couldn't find useful documentation for the joystick controller board online. It looks like it is capable of much more than just the buttons included (analog stick, etc,).
- The laser cut acrylic was poor quality - my top plate had streaks all over it that didn't wash off. I installed it upside down, as the bottom side looked fine, but the result is buttons are positioned oddly, and I have a spare hole where the 5th post would go that is unused.
- It's worth going to the retropie website and reflashing the SD card before you install it. I tried to skip this step and just take the update on the live image, but this caused problems and I ended up having to reflash anyway.
- Still haven't got audio working through internal speakers or HDMI - I don't think this has anything to do with the kit though. Same for Bluetooth controllers.