Enter your Zippo design to be produced by Massdrop
VOTING IS NOW OPEN!We’re hosting a contest to produce a custom Zippo lighter designed by the community! Not only will the winner’s design be made into Zippo lighters that will run on Massdrop, but the winner will also receive a flat sum of $500 and five low-serial-number Zippos of their design. Here’s how it works: From October 12–25, we’ll accept design submissions that will be created on a polished brass Zippo lighter using their signature “Lustre Etch” process. After that, we’ll work directly with Zippo to choose five finalists. Then we’ll put it back to you, the community, to vote on your favorite.
When the winner is selected, we’ll contact them and then announce them here in the discussion. Afterward, we’ll create a prototype and launch the drop!
Keep reading for more details . . . CONTEST1. Zippo Design Submission: Submit your design by using the form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeXnEZACwRce0WKVvxGLCw8Ncmov7yM37WUa2fPMVI3Tn-aiw/viewformContest Rules: https://helpdesk.massdrop.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010525493 Design Dimensions: 32 x 51 mm. Please only submit designs for the front of the lighter. We will not accept submissions with designs on additional surfaces.
VECTOR art: .ai, .eps, .svg or pdf (only if art is vector paths/outlines)
RASTER art: .psd (with layers), .tif (with or without layers)
Guidelines: All designs must follow the Zippo guidelines found on their website, including the below:
2. Finalist Selection: Once all the designs have been submitted and verified, we’ll work with Zippo to determine the top five finalists.
3. Finalist Voting Round: We’ll open it up to the community to determine the winner of the five chosen finalists.
4. Winning Design Announcement: We’ll contact that designer to confirm their winning selection and have them fill out a purchaser-owned artwork agreement form. Then we’ll announce the winner and launch a new drop!
The winning design will be run as a drop on Massdrop.
The winner will receive a flat sum of $500 and five low-serial-number Zippos of their design.
The other four finalists will receive $100 in Massdrop credit.
DATES· Submission Period Start: Friday, October 12th 11:15AM PST
· Submission Period End: Thursday, October 25th 11:59PM PST
· Finalist Selection Period: Friday, October 26th - Tuesday, October 30th
· Voting Period Start: Wednesday, October 31st · Voting Period End: Tuesday, November 6th
· Winner Announcement: Will be announced within ~7 days of voting period.
- Your designed product cannot include elements that belong to someone else, are offensive, or would appeal to young children.
- Designs can’t infringe on any copyrights or trademarks, including names, logos, and symbols.
- Designs cannot include insignias of government agencies, organizations, military branches, or the Chinese flag.
- Do not use an existing piece of artwork, cartoon, photograph, or screenshot, even if you changed it by rearranging the elements of the artwork.
- Do not use images found on the internet, including from search engines or social media, without written authorization from the owner (which must be provided to Zippo and Massdrop)
- Designs can’t be inappropriate or offensive, including nudity, obscene or vulgar material, material that harasses, threatens, defames or abuses other. Material that is racist, sexist, a symbol of hate. Material that promotes or depicts violence or abuse, including animals. Material that glamorizes illegal drug use.
- Designs can’t appeal to young children, including anime, Santa Claus, cartoon like characters.
Best of luck to all entrants!
Also, this is our first Zippo design contest, so be sure to give us feedback and let us know what you think.