What is your recommendation for an EDC "man bag"?
I've been searching for a while, and I must be missing something because I cannot find the "perfect" bag... What are your recommendations for a small EDC cross-body shoulder bag?
By "EDC" I literally mean EVERY day carry. I see a lot of bags called "EDC" bags that are (IMO) much too big and complicated to actually be called "EDC". For this reason, I don't consider backpacks or slings to be "EDC bags" (I have both and use both, but never as my primary "go everywhere with me" bag - they are simply to big and bulky). Think about showing up at your buddy's place for a BBQ - would you wear a backpack or sling?
Here are the criteria I'm trying to meet:
For comparison, here are some bags that are *close* but not quite right
- It will go everywhere with me, even from the car into a restaurant or bar, through airports, to the grocery store, etc. So it has to look good and be small enough to be unobtrusive. Being able to set it on a restaurant table out of the way (or hang on a chair between me and a wall) is a requirement.
- Leather or high-quality waxed/oiled canvas trimmed in leather.
- Attached shoulder strap (or detachable with VERY subtle clasps). I hate jangly brass D-rings and clasps
- Vertical orientation rather than horizontal.
- Cross-body wear with bag at roughly hip height, and able to be slung forward or rear-ward as conditions dictate.
- Something most women would not use because its too "manly" looking (i.e. looks as little like a "purse" as possible)
- Needs to hold the following:
- Bellroy Travel Folio & wallet (with Passport, visas, & folded boarding passes when traveling)
- iPhone Xs
- 3.5" to 4.5" folding knife of 2 oz to 4 oz
- Fisher space pen
- 5.25" Field notes booklet
- Sunglasses (at times)
- Keys with two remote fobs (in the bag, not jangling around outside)
- Small EDC flashlight like a single AA or AAA type
- Random small med stuff like bandaids, Advil packets, etc.)
- Receipts in a binder clip
- Note: Unfortunately, since I live in a place in CA where CCW is impossible (unless one has donated enough to the local Sheriff's election), I don't need space for a CCW.
What else is out there...?
- Nutsac Man-Bag, Dammit - don't like the horizontal orientation or the way the strap attaches to the bag, If it was about 3/4 the length it would be the right size. Make it smaller and improve the shoulder strap and this would be just about perfect.
- Rothco Military Tech Bag (leather) - About the right size (a bit too tall) and minimalist design, but the frigging shoulder strap is too short!
- Bolstr 2.0 - Good design. Slightly too big. Cheap-looking materials
- Maxpedition Neatfreak - The right idea, but waaaay to many *#$*^ pockets and features! Also don't like the Cordura fabric (too tacti-cool)
- Maxpedition DEP - The right idea in terms of minimalism, but I don't like the tactical Cordura materials. Maybe too small?