The Hornet Pocket Knife - Massdrop Worthy?
Hey Massdrop community,
My name is Shan , with Tepe Designs. I wanted to test the water and see if the community would like to see my design offered via Massdrop. Therefore, I need your help so that the team here can make a sound decision on whether or not to consider this a viable offering. I am working on getting first production done now via Kickstarter, however, I would like to see the Hornet offered to a much larger following. The knife is being made by HE Knives in Guangdong province, (same place as Kizer, WE and Reate etc..). They have 20+ yrs experience and have worked on projects for other manufactures like Kershaw and Buck. Rest assured, they do excellent work and I wouldn't have spent the last 18 months preparing this with them for a poorly made product.
Ultimately, I like to offer up one or more versions of the Hornet as follows:
1. D2 steel / black or orange G-10 handles
2. N690 steel / full Ti handles
I leave it to you all, the Massdrop community, to decide if this appeals to you. Thanks in advance for your support and/or criticisms.
Here are the features/specs to consider:
Overall Length: 8"
- N690 blade steel (Titanium version)
- D2 blade steel (G10 version)
- Ceramic ball-bearings
- Chamfered handles
- 3D machined titanium pocket clip provides secure, tip-up carry (version with Titanium handles). The G10 version comes with a stainless steel pocket clip.
- Functional jimping on the thumb ramp for improved grip and control (even with gloves on)
Above: Size comparison
- Blade Length: 3.5"
- Blade Thickness: 0.16"
- Handle Length: 4.5"
- Handle Thickness: .59"
- Blade Material: N690 OR D2
- Rockwell Hardness: 59-60 HRC
- Blade Grind: Flat
- Finish: Satin
- Edge Type: Plain
- Weight: 4.7 oz. (Titanium version) 4.2 oz. (G10 version)
- Handle Material: 6AL4V Titanium or G10 with speed holes on both sides of the handles
- Lock Type: Frame Lock with hardened lock-bar insert & over travel stop (titanium version) or Liner Lock (G10 version)
- Pocket Clip: Right-side, Tip-up Carry
- Opening Mechanism: Thumb hole or flipper tab