Grammy's Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers
Simple, yet delicious. This recipe uses 20 medium sized jalapeños, but is easily doubled or tripled for larger parties.
20 medium jalapeños from your garden or local farmer
Two 6 oz blocks Philadelphia Cream Cheese
12 oz Parmesan Cheese(fresh or packaged)
One regular(16 oz?) size package of Jimmy Dean Hot Italian Sausage (Use regular sausage if the extra heat is not for you)
10 regular size diced shrimp - Optional
Bacon of your choosing-one piece for two peppers(or one for one, make it up as you go along)
1. Soak toothpicks in water.( so the tips don't burn on grill and your friends eat toothpicks)
2. Brown your sausage in a stove-top pan. Let it sit until ready to use. Work on peppers as your sausage browns.
3. Core the peppers and cut the top part off with the stem, make one cut top to bottom, the idea is you will want to open the peppers enough to stuff them. Make sure to either shake or rinse all seeds out.
4. Mix cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Italian Sausage, and shrimp in a bowl until evenly distributed.
5. Stuff your jalapeños! Use one hand to gently open the pepper where you previously made one cut from top to bottom while using your other hand and a small spoon to get dollops of the mix on and paste it inside your peppers until appropriately full. The pepper wants to look full, but not overly full. You want to eat it inside the pepper, not the outside.
6. Next, I cut large pieces of un cooked bacon in half, using one half for a single pepper. Wrap around the pepper and stick one of your wet toothpicks through the bacon and pepper, place on foil covered baking sheet. Proceed to do this with all peppers. Place on grill under medium heat until bacon is cooked or cook for 15-20 min at 400 degrees. This may very in different ovens and grills. Just eat one to see if it's ready. Always a hit at get together, parties, and BBQs. Mahalo