After doing a ton of research I ended up with a Shun Premiere 6" Chef (which I got on sale for 115$). The price now at WS is ~160. So if you can't get it on sale, go with the Shun Classic 6" Classic Chef (130$) which is similar.
- They are sharpened to 16 degrees, which makes them perceptibly sharper than a standard knife.
- They are relatively light
- They are pretty. :-)
Why 6" and not 8":
- It is lighter, it's easier to be precise at speed with a lighter knife.
- It's shorter also allowing for more precision at speed.
- It is a bit cheaper.
- If you are going to need a bigger knife for a relatively infrequent task, such as opening a big squash, you'll use a bigger cheapo knife for that task. (I have a 15$ plastic handle 9" knife for these tasks, it's great)
Why pay the extra $$ for the Premiere:
- Even prettier
- The sides are bumpy, making food stick to it less.