Sennheiser HD6XX or HIFIMAN HE5XX? or Other?
Not quite an audiophile, but a music lover and creator and could use some advice. First open-back pair I'll have purchased in a while. Had a pair of Grados, but sold as I never found time to listen with them in the right environment. Now that I'm working from home, feels like the right time to purchase, but of course listening through speakers when I can too!
This is my lineup today for context, so might be nice to find something that fits within:
- Meze 99 Classics
- Audioquest NightOwl
- Airpods (Not pro, never like deep in-ear and headaches w/ ANC)
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50xbt (Arriving today in the mail. For work calls and listening on-the-go, have always gotten headaches and nausea from ANC; these seem like the best solution w/o. I did order the Sony XM4s just to do one final test, but will likely get the same headache and I've read they don't sound as good with ANC turned off, or when used with a wire. High hopes for the ATs as they seem to maintain the standard M50x non-bluetooth quality when used wired)
I know I know using with Spotify negates a lot of the above gear, but I've toyed with Tidal and Qobuz with neither coming close to the recommendations Spotify provides, plus I use the social features to share music with friends. And HiFi is finally coming this year!!
As a bonus, what should be my next pair in the $500-700 range? Or... should I just skip the HD6XX/HE5XX and go straight there? Something like the Focal Elex?
- Chord Mojo w/ Silver Dragon micro-usb
- Audioquest DragonFly Red w/ lightning camera-connection kit for on-the-go
- UA Apollo Twin Duo interface (for recording)
- Yamaha HS5 Speakers & Sub
- Sonos Speakers/Soundbar (Turnable line-in)