Showing 1 of 225 conversations about:
View Full Discussion I have got it yesterday and connected it to my laptop to see what is going on with this device and this is what i have found. If any of you know how to fix those stuff please write me a comment.
1. When you power on the device and push the volume knob i enter a setting menu where there are 7 mode (7 filters) that i have no idea what are used for. Didnt notice any difference by switching from one to another. Can anyone explain me what are they for ?
2. When i start foobar2k with some song, and switch to another player like jriver the jriver is silent. Its like i can play only one source of audio. When 1 source is playing the others are mute and cannot reproduce sound. How or why is this happening ?
3. in 32 bit mode from windows audio settings i can switch only to 44100 Hz PCM and to 192 kHz @ 24 bit
4. If You switch to 24 of any kind of Hz the 32 bit mode is gone from the table and cannot be switched back.
5. In bitstreaming i cannot play DSD over DSD (native). There is a loud static sounds when doing so or its dead quiet o.O
5. The only way it let me bitstream to the device is trough PCM mode in which the DX7s thinks it is as 356 kHz in DSD64 or 706 kHz in DSD128.
6. When i try directly to bitstream to the device and the static appears my laptop says that i have no audio device on. The speaker icon on the taskbar disappears with a red cross over it. When clicking on it windows redirects me to to troubleshooting menu in which windows tries to find the problem himselve but cannot. The device appears again when i switch the track to anything else like mp3 or flack with Hz rate around 44100.
I am using windows 7 with the usb drivers, download from the official http://en.tpdz.net/ site.
What the problem may be with this thing ?
I am thinking about issues with the drivers.
Do you have any similar problems ?
Please help me understand what may the problem be and how to fix it.
Thank you all in advance guys and have a nice day :)
I don't use jriver so I will not comment on it. But I do use both Win 10 sound output and Foobar2000 with no problem. I can use Foobar2000 to play DSD256 at 11.28MHz(I don't have anytghing at DSD512), I can also set Win sound to 32bit@192KHz, but I have Win 10 which may be differnt from Win 7. I have always thought Foobar settings are not straight forward and to setup DSD properly was especially convoluted. This issue is not only for DX7s, I have to tried a few times to setup Oppo 205 too. You need to follow to instructions very closely and do some try and error. As far as Win 10 is concern, multiple sources can output to the DX7s at same time, but some player may default to use the USB output exclusively to avoid interruption by other sources. Some will ask you nicely, others would not and some may not even make it as an option.
1. You can download the manual here: http://en.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=73.html
Page 14 mentions the filters:
Filter 1: Apodizing fast roll-off
Filter 2: Minimum phase slow roll-off
Filter 3: Minimum phase fast roll-off
Filter 4: Linear phase slow roll-off
Filter 5: Linear phase fast roll-off
Filter 6: Brick wall
Filter 7: Corrected minimum phase fast roll-off
2. Sounds like exclusive mode, so foobar2000 can set the sample rate as needed for whatever song you're playing. Check which output device (and which audio API) you're using in the settings. The DS (DirectSound) stuff probably doesn't have that issue, but I'm not sure. The trade off is that you have to set the sample rate yourself if you want to prevent upsampling/downsampling. If you only have MP3s/CD quality music, set it to 32bit / 44.1 kHz in Windows and you're good.
3. Interesting. On the Mac, 32/768 works, though VOX sets the sample rate for me so I usually don't go above 192. I didn't install any drivers. I wouldn't expect this problem with the drivers installed.
@DontDooDad Something happened. After 48 hours of listening to the device i switched the headphones the output went completely silent o.O Its powered on it shows the different rate samples of my music, but the output is completely silent. Is this normal ? Is the output dead ? i cannot try the balance for now but the 6.3 output gives me no more signal. Is it broken ffs ? Im so frustrated right now. I reset it few times to factory settings, shut it down 2-3 times switched input modes and its silent as f....
Did you accidentally double click the volume button, switching to DAC mode? Then the headphones outs are turned off and the rear outputs run at full volume. Try double clicking again until you see HP, or HP+DAC
I have not touch this. Even so i cycle through all modes and still nothing. It happened after switching headphones from the 6.3 mill output. I even tried to reinstall the drivers and still the same thing. Goddamn box i hate this dac already please please do not be a dud or something like that. When i try to connect my headphones again i sort of hear a little crack like i am plugigng them. Maybe that means that its not completely dead and only the signal is not coming. If so how the make it playing again. damn it what happened to this thing :(
I found the solution !!! When switching between headphones while the signal is running there can be a current outages when unpluging and putting the plug back into the input. I dont know if it is intentional or what but when it happens something like a protection shuts down the circuit so no damage can occur. I had to completely power off the device with the cable removed and to wait a few minutes so all charged electricity to disapade. I turn it than back on and it was working again. I was on the edge of crying im telling you! So much nerves with this thing i would never recommend it to someone else!
I'm happy it's working again! It is the nature of TRS plugs that they can short the output connectors in the socket as you slide them in or out (XLR plugs don't have that issue). I think that's why you might only hear one channel if you don't push the connector in far enough. I have never had any device shut down on me because of that, though. I just tested my DX7s but repeatedly plugging in a pair of headphones into the single ended output, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly, and had no issues in terms of the unit going silent on me.
Just wanted to share my experience on the issue. Please pass the news if someone else like me have such problem and you notice it, redirect him to this solution, or simply tell him to unplug the cable for 3 minutes and he is gtg :>
I am using it as A dac, it plays every file accept the native dsd files . The Dsd dop files it can play to dsd256. i use auralic aries mini as streaming device. Do you have the same problem and perhaps a solution?
i could not make it play with foobar ASIO streaming. The only way i could make it playing dsd is with JRiver which sadly is not free. Another thing is that when i play DSD i loose control of the device. It is being showed as non existent. Like its unplugged or whatever. Cannot change the volume, nothing. When the song is finish then appears in my device manager again. I do not know if the problem is with the drivers or what so ever but ... this is the situation. What else can you expect from a budget chinese dac/amp?
That sounds strange , I found out that it can only play Dsd DoP . When you put the device in dac mode you can’t chance the volume. It is fixed.
The sound is a little disappointed because of cheap components and the use of the mobile version of the dac chip. As you said , budget chinese dac.
With both Foobar and JRiver you have to adjust the settings to play dsd natively
RE: points 5 and 6
(this is valid for Mac and iPhone, not sure if it is applicable for PC as well)
When using native DSD, make sure your streaming device (e.g. PC) volume is at 100%. If it is less, you get static noise or nothing at all. And use USB as Optical output is limited to a lower bitrate.
It took me some time to fix this on my Mac mini as I had optical connected at the same time I had the USB. Having the optical connected, disables the volume control on the mini and I could't increase the volume. Even Direct Mode in Audirvana did not help to bypass this. I had to unplug the optical cable to activate the volume controls and increase the Volume to 100%. Hope this helps if anyone is having similar issue :)
@bloodpig I've experience the same issue with my unit even when not switching headphones. The unit will randomly just go silent. Solution is the same with yours, just need to unplug the USB cable, turn off the unit off the unit, plug the cable back and then turn it on again.
Ok my experience is that I had issues getting foobar to play DSD files natively. Hence I have opted for JRiver. There are instruction to set both up on line (google it if you can't find it I will look for my file). I have an issue with no sound when swithing to JRiver from other software sometimes, but I simply rebooted JRiver and it works. This has somthing to do with the product, I have not experienced this with my Gustard unit.
you saved my skin with pc volume at 100 tysm!
Hi friend. I had the same problem. I played a lot of dsd natively. DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 using Audirvana on macbook air. I didnt have problem. But after 4 hours, i came back to home and surprise!!!! When i was playing some DSD files only noise!!! F$%&/ Noise!!! I proved with windows, mac, android and the same!! Only Noise!!... My other dac worked well the dsd and my new topping nothing....
But.... i decided to disconnect all the cables all!!! I waited 10min and Vualaa!!! Native DSD again. I am happy again... Thank you so much.
Excuse me. And how many time do you wait (disconecting all) for play native DSD again?
Hello, my issue was not really playing DSD. Mine could be a USB hardware issue. My workaround was to use the optical digital in instead of using USB.
I think the problem is with the driver for the device. It is build from another driver, not from the groud up, so it fails from time to time. After disconnecting the device and reattaching it the driver somehow reconfigure itself or i dont know the mechanics but its has something to do with the XMOS(XU208) driver
That would be DoP, aka DSD over PCM.