IEMs, why should I care? How to choose some?
I discovered the existence of IEMs with MD, but never cared to look into them until then, so here we are! And I have plenty of questions! I did a bit of research before posting, but I only came out with more questions... So I thought here would be the right place to ask, in the hope that the answers can be useful to other people as confused as me.
A huge thanks to anyone who will read all of this, and even more to anyone who will take the time to answer part or all of this!
- I have read a lot that "IEMs provide better quality than regular earphones". What does that mean? How does it compare? Would average IEMs provide better sound than high-end earphones or than over-ear headphones for example? Why do audiophiles love them so much?
- IEMs seem mostly used by musicians on stage, but are also used by some audiophiles. If I enjoy good sound quality, but I also use my headphones a lot while on the go, would IEMs work for me? Are they more suited for people who listen to music in the quietness of their homes?
- A lot of IEMs are wired, what are wireless IEMs worth? Are wireless ones less common because they imply a loss of sound quality? For other reasons?
- Is a DAC/AMP required to get good sound out of IEMs?
- At what price point do IEMs start to hit the law of diminishing returns?
- It looks like plenty of factors make IEMs perform worse or better in different fields, if I wanted good all-around IEMs without going into super expensive products (see previous question), what should I be looking for?
- Additionally to the previous question, if you could own only one pair of IEMs, which ones would it be? Why?