Ordered a black WA7d. Received an email telling me to either (i) take a silver, or (ii) get a refund. Both options are not attractive to me.
The kicker about this issue is that I do not even know who to blame. Further, I do not know who to make suggestions for things to improve.
If MD had quantity limits, they really should have cut off orders from the get go. If this has been done for keycap sets, it should be done here as well.
If it's WA, they really should give people the option to upgrade to the new WA7 or wait for the units. Disappointing potential customers who were willing to part with their money like this is not good for business.
Thanks for stomping on my personal expectations with this drop, then tossing it out the window.